Because the Russia-Ukraine battle enters its two hundredth day, we check out the primary developments.
Moscow abandoned its main bastion in northeastern Ukraine, an obvious collapse of one of many battle’s principal entrance traces, after Ukrainian forces moved to encircle the realm in a shock advance.
- Ukraine’s counteroffensive has liberated about 2,000sq km (700sq miles) of territory, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned.
- Ukrainian forces continued to make vital features within the Kharkiv area over the past 24 hours, the UK’s defence ministry mentioned.
- The Russian-installed chief administrator of Russian-controlled elements of Kharkiv advisable all its inhabitants evacuate to Russia “to avoid wasting lives”.
- Ukrainian forces established full management over the town of Balakliia, mentioned deputy defence minister Hanna Malyar.
- Russia’s defence ministry ordered troops to go away the realm across the metropolis of Izyum in Kharkiv province, saying they might be despatched to bolster operations elsewhere in neighbouring Donetsk.
- Ukrainian troops captured the town of Kupyansk, the only real railway hub supplying Russia’s entrance line throughout northeastern Ukraine, chopping hundreds of Russian troops off from provides.
- Ukrainian police patrolling deserted cities are discovering containers of ammunition in heaps left behind by Russian troopers.
- Russia’s defence ministry mentioned its air power destroyed a Ukrainian radar monitoring station within the southern Mykolaiv area and 6 weapon and missile depots within the jap and southeastern areas.
“To realize the said targets of the special military operation for the liberation of Donbas, it was determined to regroup the Russian troops positioned within the districts of Balakliia and Izyum for the aim of accelerating efforts within the Donetsk path,” Russia’s defence ministry mentioned.
- Ukraine’s atomic energy operator mentioned the final reactor at Europe’s largest nuclear energy plant has been shut down after it was reconnected to the electrical energy grid.
- Ukraine will look into whether or not it may well urgently provide neighbouring Poland with 100,000 tonnes of thermal coal to assist it by the winter, Zelenskyy mentioned.
- Zelenskyy mentioned he advised French President Emmanuel Macron in regards to the state of affairs on the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, calling for it to be “demilitarised”.
- Russia’s Gazprom mentioned it would ship 42.4 million cubic metres of pure gasoline to Europe through Ukraine.
- Britain dismissed as unfaithful Russian President Vladimir Putin’s assertion that solely a fraction of grain exported from Ukraine below a world deal was going to poor nations.
- Quoting UN figures, the British defence ministry mentioned about 30 % of grain exported below the deal has been provided to low and middle-income nations in Africa, the Center East and Asia.
- Putin mentioned final week that out of 87 ships, solely two, carrying 60,000 tonnes of merchandise, had gone to poor nations.
- Ukrainian overseas minister Dmytro Kuleba referred to as for extra weapons. “We’ve got demonstrated we’re able to defeating the Russian military. We’re doing that with weapons given to us. And so I reiterate: the extra weapons we obtain, the quicker we are going to win, and the quicker this battle will finish.”